Re: Coolscan LS-30 + best scanner

Chris Bitmead (chris.bitmead@bigfoot.com)
Sat, 15 May 1999 23:56:08 +0000

Fred Willingham wrote:

> I am willing to sign. I have a registered company name, too. Does anyone
> have a contact person or e-mail address?

I'm not sure what to do. I need to buy a film scanner in the next week.
I saw a comparison of the HP Photosmart and Coolscan and the Coolscan
looked way better, with more saturated colours (although I don't know
how much of that is software related and thus not Linux applicable). I
havn't seen any comparison of the Canon 2700F.

If you can get specs out of Nikon and the Nikon is better, I can help
with development. So if you're going to do it, do it quickly.

Any thoughts on Canon 2700F vs Coolscan III performance?

> I have been posting on Nikon's Imaging Support Forum. So far, they have said
> they "don't provide information about developing on other operating
> systems." I replied that I didin't need Linux information, I needed Coolscan
> III information: what gets sent to the scanner over the SCSI bus and what to
> expect the scanner to send back, the scanner's command set. No answer to
> that, so far.
>
> -F

Chris Bitmead
http://www.bigfoot.com/~chris.bitmead