Re: [Announce] WinSANE 0.1.0.0 Release

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:23:48 +0300

Nick Lamb wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 1999, Milon Firikis wrote:
>
> > For gray images:
> > white --> 0
> > black --> 255 (240)
>
> Milon - please enlighten us as to why we should believe you and not
> (1) Most existing hardware and software
> (2) The SANE standard documents
>
> ?

AHA! it seems that my backend managed to confused me this time. Of
course you are right and I am wrong. In gray scale images pixel values
represents intensity. Full intensity (255) is white and not black. The
reason I get confused is that apple scanners do it the other way around
and I failed to see where exactly I made the conversion in the byte
stream.

Looks like a good idea to me to have this details either implemented or
at least documented. The macros could be something like
SANE_SCALE_TO_8(4bit value) // Multiplying with 17 as Matthias Fleischer
proposed
SANE_SCALE_TO_16(xbit value where x, 8<x<16) // As proposed by Andreas
Beck in http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/1999-04/0097.html

MF