Re: To Astra 6X0S users!

Rob Fargher (fargher@POBoxes.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:03:47 +0700

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:34:33 +0200, Oliver Rauch wrote:

>did anyone test if the new umax-backend works with the Astra 6X0S
>scanners?
>
>Please set the shading type in advanced options to "calculate average and
>invert"
>and do some color scans (not preview)!

Oliver, I tried it with XSane 0.19 and Gimp on my Astra 610S. The "calculate average
and invert" not only works but it works quite well! Thank you. I played with it a fair
bit this afternoon and had no problems.

A couple of suggestions about XSane:

1) Rather than just having one printer command in Copy mode, I would like to have 3
radio buttons, labelled "Draft", "Good" and "Best" with individual printer commands
assignable to each. I have an Epson Stylus Colour II inkjet printer set up with
GhostScript with different print queues for different output quality. I don't need 720 x
720 dpi resolution for photocopying a page of text where 180 x 180 monochrome is
ample (i.e. draft mode) but would like to have 720 x 720 CMYK available for
photocopying some beautifully coloured fractals!

2) In copy mode, Xsane will not work if the filename in the entry box in scan mode is
non-existant or invalid. A small point but why should it matter in copy mode?

3) I don't know if this next one is possible in Xsane. In Copy mode, I would like the
ability to specify the image position on the print page if the zoom factor is < 100%.
Right now, it simply centres the image on the page.

4) The availablity of the histogram, coupled with the ability to adjust levels from the
histogram is marvellous. Thank you, it is a significant enhancement to the
functionality of Sane. But the custom gamma table (or curve tools) in xscanimage is
also very powerful. Could you add that code from xscanimage to XSane and make the
best of both worlds available?

5) When adjusting the scanning parameters using the Histogram or custom gamma
table, could you add a second image to the scan preview? One showing the current
preview image before adjustment with the second showing the preview effects of the
Histogram/gamma table adjustment for direct comparison.

6) Should you ever come over here, to British Columbia on the wet coast of Canada,
please let me know. I want to buy you a few beers! :-)

Cheers,
Rob