Re: Microtek scanners

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:33:19 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Leon van Zundert wrote:

> We have quite a few customers asking for Linux drivers.

We call them backends. It's not quite like the 'driver' thing of W95, NT
or OS/2.

> Could you tell us which scanners are supported by S.A.N.E., so we don't
> get any dissapointet customers after sending them to your homepage.
>
> Does S.A.N.E. also support parallel and USB scanners?

Basically SANE does not support parallel port or USB scanners. The lack of
parallel port support is mainly to blame on the manufacturers who don't
want to supply technical information about the used protocols. USB is
mainly an unexplored territory.

If you are in any position to change this behaviour within your company
(if it is currently reluctant to share the technical details) your help to
acquire this information may result in actual support if someone is
willing to accept the challenge.

Regards,
Hugo.

PS: I hope you realize that this is a mailinglist of people involved or
interrested in the SANE project.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |