Re: twain -> sane proxy for windows

Andreas Dilger (adilger@enel.ucalgary.ca)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:04:09 -0700 (MST)

Petter writes [re TWAIN->SANE driver in Win]:
> It is already available from
> <URL:http://www.integramicro.com/winsane/>. It was announced on this
> list by Arun Tanksali on 1999-01-04. Have a look at
> <URL:http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/1999-01/0046.html>.
>
> I have not tested it, but someone should. :-)

I tried to use it once. The command-line scanimage program worked OK,
so this means that SANE was working fine over the network. When I
tried to use the winsane "frontend" under Adobe Photodeluxe (came with
my UMAX 1220S scanner), winsane showed up in the device dialog, but
after that the whole system hung, or it just didn't work. I was never
able to get winsane to scan on my windows system.

Unfortunately, winsane is closed source, so I can't do anything about it,
and my emails to this list and directly to Arun were not answered, so
I've pretty much given up. This is too bad, since the network part of
SANE works on windows, so what's needed now is the TWAIN front end.
I'm interested in testing, but I don't have any Windows development tools,
so I couldn't help in the development part.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger  University of Calgary \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they