Re: UMAX Astra 1200S lamp question

Zygo Blaxell (u3nzrrvm@umail.furryterror.org)
25 Feb 1999 12:33:06 -0500

In article <9902251704.AA23776@beast.emg.sms.siemens.com>,
Matt Mozur <sane-devel@mostang.com> wrote:
>I also have a 1220S - the lamp does stay on for a while, but eventually
>does shut off. it seems to be controlled by the scanner - as you said,
>there doesn't seem to be any way to do it via the driver.

It does shut off? How long does this take? I've left the scanner alone
at night and the next morning the lamp is still on. Maybe it's getting
some stray SCSI commands across the bus and those are keeping the lamp on?

>Maybe I'll check the UMAX web site....

It seems to be somewhat dead at the moment, at least from here.
It's a little disturbing when a mailing list provides useful information
faster than a vendor's web site. :-/

>P.S. I believe that they use a cold cathode fluorescent lamp - nowadays
>these lamps have lifetimes in excess of 25,000 hours to 50% luminance.
>I've seen some lamps quoted now in excess of 40K hours.

25K hours is ~3 years. Not quite solid-state, but close enough I guess...

--
Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation, zygob@corel.ca (work),
zblaxell@furryterror.org (play).  It's my opinion, I tell you! Mine! All MINE!