Re: UMAX Astra 1200S lamp question

Matt Mozur (mozur@emg.sms.siemens.com)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:07:27 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BE60B7.692B2730

I also have a 1220S - the lamp does stay on for a while, but eventually
does shut off. it seems to be controlled by the scanner - as you said,
there doesn't seem to be any way to do it via the driver.

I have the same problem when I run under Win95, too.

Maybe I'll check the UMAX web site....

P.S. I believe that they use a cold cathode fluorescent lamp - nowadays
these lamps have lifetimes in excess of 25,000 hours to 50% luminance.
I've seen some lamps quoted now in excess of 40K hours.

----------
> From: Zygo Blaxell <u3nzrrvm@umail.furryterror.org>
> To: sane-devel@mostang.com
> Subject: UMAX Astra 1200S lamp question
> Date: Thursday, February 25, 1999 11:17 AM
>
> I've recently acquired a UMAX Astra 1200S. The scanner seems to work
fine
> under SANE as far as the software goes (great job, guys!) but I've got
one
> question about the hardware.
>
> When I connected power (and nothing else) to the scanner, the imaging
> lamp came on. When I connected the SCSI cable, the lamp stayed on.
> I've tried SCSI bus resets, scanning images, setting every available
> option in xscanimage and scanimage, and never has the lamp been off.
> The lamp is still shining under the scanner cover to this day.
>
> Is this normal? Are the Windows drivers able to turn the lamp off?
> Is the hardware incapable of turning the lamp off? Is it some kind of
> funky solid-state lamp with a 100K-hour lifetime?
>
> If I seem paranoid it's because I'm too used to color-balanced imaging
> lamps on other photographic devices which have lifetimes less than
> 100 hours.
>
> /proc/scsi/scsi contains (among other things):
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 1220S Rev: V1.3
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> --
> Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation, zygob@corel.ca (work),
> zblaxell@furryterror.org (play). It's my opinion, I tell you! Mine! All