Re: no devices available?

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:21:32 +0200

Jeff Evarts wrote:

> This is clearly a user question, but there doesn't seem
> to be a sane-user@mostang.com, nor is one referenced in
> the web pages (that I could find)
>
> Anyway...
>
> I just installed sane v1.00 on my machine (running BSD/OS)
> It compiled, built, and installed without error.
>
> I have a UMAX Astra 1200S at /dev/scanner. It's permissions
> are 666. (Anyone can read or write them) The OS and the BIOS
> both see the printer. OS diagnostics show the Astra at that
> device.

printer. I assume scanner is what you want to say...

[snipping info]

> But "scanimage --list-devices" lists no devices.
>
> I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't know how to
> diagnose the problem. Is there a command I can enter from
> the telnet session to list the devices? What else could I
> be doing incorrectly?

I ___think___ (might be wrong since I don't have BSD) it has something
to do with the file permissions in the "real" device file and not in the
link (/dev/scanner-->points to ???). My guess? Make configuration files
points to the real device file and try out also the find-scanner
utility. Make sure the permissions are OK or run the thing as root to
acquire a proof of concept overview.

MF