Re: Frontend XSane-0.06 available

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:15:26 +0200

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded the new version of the frontend XSane to my homepage:
>
> http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch
>
> I would like to know with which backends it works/not works!
>
> Bye
> Oliver
>
> [Image]

Hello I tried the software with the apple backend. Very impressive... My
compliments!

Some minor problems

1) Whenever I run it it gives me the main window with an horizontal
scrollbar. If I try to resize the window it doesn't let me.

2) The gamma, contrast, and brightness settings at the main window do
not have balloon help and I really really need it because I don't which
is what :-)

3) In the options (this may be apple specific) I can crash it easily by
trying to drag the rulers in order to select the scan area. I have had
this kind of bug with xscanimage also. I tried to debug it but the SEGV
happens deep in the GTK code and frankly, I don't have a clue about GTK.
If you are interested in investigating this bug you can do it very
easily by editing the apple.h file

/*
Warning: if you uncomment the next line you 'll get
zero functionality. All the scanner specific function
such as sane_read, attach and the others will return
without doing anything. This way you can run the backend
without an attached scanner just to see if it gets
its control variables in a proper way.

TODO: This could be a nice thing to do as a sane config
option at runtime. This way one can debug the gui-ipc
part of the backend without actually has the scanner.

*/

#if 0
#define NEUTRALIZE_BACKEND
#define APPLE_MODEL_SELECT APPLESCANNER
#endif

Other possible values for APPLE_MODEL_SELECT are {APPLESCANNER,
ONESCANNER, COLORONESCANNER}. Use the last one to get a backend with
lots and lots of options to see if your frontend behaves properly (or my
backend behaves improperly :-)

4) The responsiveness of the computer was very good during the scan.
This was not the case with the xscanimage of the sane-075.pre version.
However the scanner makes noise like

gr..gr..gr..gr..gr..gr
instead of
grrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Note with my scsi host adapter the computer !!!shouldn't!!! so much
responsive. However the overall scanning speed is not terrible low.

It empties the buffer too fast is my guess. Unless something has changed
since sane-0.75 in sane-scsi-read you must be using a really small
buffer. I 'll check with the xscanimage tonight I 'll be back on this
topic.

Again congratulations for a fine piece of software...

MF