Re: FreeBSD 3.0 CAM braindamage and an (unrelated?) permission problem

Cory Kempf (ckempf@enigami.com)
28 Jan 1999 03:30:02 -0500

William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com> writes:

> Ok... it just took me several hours of pounding my head against my
> monitor (and resorting to reading pieces of the CAM driver in the
> kernel sources), but I have just discovered that contrary to the
> recommendation of README in the source distribution of SANE, FreeBSD 3.0
> can not handle accessing the scanner via a symlink (not even
> hardlink) named /dev/scanner.

Even Better: you can even remove the actuall /dev/pass device, and it
still works.

Unfortunately, CAM treats the device name I pass it as a string,
then parses the string, looking for 'passN' It then converts that
to the xpt device, which is does open.

I bitched up a storm on the FreeBSD-SCSI when I discovered it, as
this completely breaks the model that has worked on unix since the
dawn of time, even offering to fix the CAM code to use major and minor
device numbers, but was turned down.

Eventually, I got tired of arguing.

> Anyway, I'd like someone with access
> to the SANE source to make a note of this FreeBSD braindamage in
> either PROBLEMS, README,

My fault. I was going to write a README on the subject, but got
side tracked with a crunch mode job.

> FreeBSD ports maintainer for this package should probably ensure
> this is documented in the install messages as well.

Can't help you there.

> And perhaps related, but perhaps not, when using the SANE software,
> I'm only ever able to scan as root (blech).

Change permissions of the /dev/xpt device. That same CAM brain dammage
actually does use *that* device.

> if any other FreeBSD users had got it working as a non-root user.

Yup. Although, for some reason, the FreeBSD stuff seems to only be
partially present in SANE 1.0. So far, nobody has answered my question
as to what happened to it.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>

Cory Kempf Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development ckempf@enigami.com <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>