Re: TWAIN - SANE interface : announce

Andreas Dilger (adilger@enel.ucalgary.ca)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:25:39 -0700 (MST)

Arun writes:
> A simple but functional interface (WinSANE) is available for download.
> I have tested with a Mustek 1200 scanner. Tested with Win 95/98 PCs.
> Seems to work OK. There are a few more things I would have liked to add,
> but had to leave out(usual reasons - time etc.). A decent progress bar for
> one would have made scanning more easier (right now, you have a dumb box
> telling you that it will take some time to scan).
> I would appreciate feedback from the many people who wanted to try it out.

I have tested the software on Windows (version 0.9 dated Dec 31). The
sanedll and scanimage appeared to work properly - I could scan an image
from Win95 with the scanner on my Linux box, and the .ppm images were
identical.

However, I had problems with the TWAIN interface using Adobe PhotoDeluxe
that was shipped with the UMAX 1220S scanner. I configured the .ini
file to point to my scanner, and the TWAIN_32 interface appeared OK.
When I selected the TWAIN_32 source, WinSANE Ver 0.9 started, with my
scanner selected.

However, some of the parameters (eg Mode, Resolution, and Scan-size) in
the GUI did not match what was in the .ini file. I tried scanning
several times, and each time either WinSANE would report "Scan failed"
or I would get a white image back. There was a flicker of disk activity
on the Linux server, but no scanner activity at all. I was watching
"top", and did not see if saned started. However, my scanner kernel-module
was loaded, so I assume saned started and stopped very quickly.

I also tried running "saned -d 128" as root to see if there were any
debug messages, but nothing appeared on the console. However, no debug
messages appeared when I used scanimage and xscanimage on my SANE server
either (bug/omission in saned or stupidity on my part?). Unfortunately
I can't see what's wrong with WinSANE, since the source isn't available...

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger  University of Calgary \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they