Re: parallel port scanner

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 00:04:20 +0200

Debi-Lee Wilkinson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I appologize if I have not sent this message to the right address, please
> forward it on if that is the case.
> I am working with an HP scanner coupled to my printer through the parallel
> port. I believe I have sucessfully installed sane and added lines to the
> /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf.

You are asking to the right place. It's not enough to just install SANE.
SANE should also have a backend (driver) for your model of scanner or
for some model that is really compatible to yours.

Now the ./find-scanner stuff is used to identifying devices in the SCSI
chain of your system. It does not look on the parallel ports.

[snip]

> Type ``scanimage --help -d DEVICE'' to get list of all options for DEVICE.
>
> List of available devices:
> pnm:0 pnm:1
>
> and I can not reconcile exactly what/where pnm:0 and pnm:1 are.

pnm stands for portable pixmaps (I think) and it is a file format for
images. It is also the entry level backend being included for
introductory and tutorial purposes. After all it's not to useful to scan
from a file is it?

> My scanner is on lp1. Or maybe I am using the wrong package for this type
> of connection.

Chances are against you I am afraid. You should check if your scanner
speaks some sort of standard language. Currently I am not aware about
the status of the hp backend and if it includes for your scanner since
you didn't mention the name of the model you posses.

MF