Re: Blackwidow 4800SP is really...

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:18:49 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 08:21:01PM -0500, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

> >The problem here is that the vendor string is not unique, because
> >Microtek uses the same eight spaces as vendor id for their scanners.
> >I also looked into the documentation for the devices that are supported
> >by the microtek(1) backend, and according to the specs, they return
> >some vendor specific ASCII string, starting at that position, so that this
> >check should be save.
> >
> >Nevertheless, I don't know whether it is actually the case, that an
> >ASCII string is always there (Matto ?).
>
> Nope, not always the case. Among others, the Microtek E6 has a blank
> (8 spaces) vendor string. All-in-all, the microtek(1) backend looks
> for a choice of five possible strings (one is "AGFA", the other four
> are a variety of brain-dead Microtek options).

Hhm, this seems to be a misunderstanding, I referred to the ASCII string
starting at position 36.

> It's a good idea to try to pick a bunch of characteristics that are
> particular to your scanner command set and unlikely to be duplicated
> in another scanner brand. The microtek(1) backend looks for:

But what are these characteristics ? Until recently I thought, that the
vendor string would uniquely identify a manufacturer, but the
Artec/Blackwidow model shows that this is wrong.

> o a valid vendor string (out of 5 options, including blank)
> o a SCSI response format of 0x01 (which instantly knocks out
> microtek(2) scanners).
> o a valid model code, found in the microtek-specific byte #62.

Reading the last line I think, that the best way to distinguish a
Blackwidow from a Microtek device is to check for the model codes
at byte 62 of the inquiry result ( microtek(1) ) and byte 36 ( microtek(2) ).

For the Blackwidow all bytes beyond result[35] are equal to zero. As long
as no other manufacturer uses a blank vendor string, these checks should
be save.

Of course, additional checks wouldn't hurt.

(Chris, consider this as a response to your other mail, too).

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder
Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de