Re: Blackwidow 4800SP is really...

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:05:55 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 10:59:49PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > I'm not sure how I completely missed the AT3. It wasn't deliberate !
>
> :-) No problem, glad yours turned out to be that as it should work with
> the backend better than the AT6 since I have an AT3 myself. :-)
>
> > As for the Inquiry information, it is as in the earlier message on the
> > mailing list. To quote from Bernd's mail (and my data)...
> > ===
> > [inquiryresult]
> > 0: 060002015b000000
> > 8: 2020202020202020
> > 16: 466c617462656420
> > 24: 5363616e6e657220
> > 32: 312e393000000000
> > 40: 0000000000000000
> > 48: 0000000000000000
> >
> > The vendor string consists of 8 spaces, and the model string is simply
> > "Flatbed Scanner ".
>
> >From looking at this, it does show that your Product revision is 1.90
> (bytes 32-35). That is the same revision level as my AT3, so it looks
> like they might be the same exact thing. I also looked at BlackWidow's
> webpage and the scanner looks like my AT3 with the image reversed left
> to right. On mine the label is on the right and in the pic it's on the
> left front. Which side is yours on?
>
> > Rather tacky rebadging if you ask me.
>
> Ditto.

Me too :).

If you are planning to integrate support for this model into the
Artec backend, please make sure that the backend does not only check the
vendor id in the inquiry information to decide, whether it should handle
the device.

The problem here is that the vendor string is not unique, because
Microtek uses the same eight spaces as vendor id for their scanners.

check for "result + 36 == 0x00", because microtek2 expects a
model code !=0 at this position.

I also looked into the documentation for the devices that are supported
by the microtek(1) backend, and according to the specs, they return
some vendor specific ASCII string, starting at that position, so that this
check should be save.

Nevertheless, I don't know whether it is actually the case, that an
ASCII string is always there (Matto ?).

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder