Re: ScanMaker V600 under Linux

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 00:49:36 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 12:01:02AM +0000, Stefan Mashkevich wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> sorry for a newcomer question... Pentium/Red Hat 5.1, Microtek
> ScanMaker V600 (parallel port version); sane-0.74 won't recognize
> it -- /dev/scanner is not created and no further action takes place.
> I haven't found any hints in the documentation...
> what could be the problem?

Microtek parallel port scanners are currently not supported by sane.

What I can tell is the following: According to a mail from Grant Guenter
(the maintainer (or one of the maintainers ?) of the Linux parport
project) on the parport mailinglist some weeks ago, at least some
Microtek scanners have an OnSpec 90C26 for their SCSI-connection.

This chip allows to add some additional hardware (some kind of
SCSI <-> parallel adapter), so that SCSI-devices can be connected
to the PC's parallel port.

This means, that those "parallel port" devices, that are built with this
chip, are actually SCSI devices. I suppose, that this is at least the
case for models, where both a SCSI and a parallel port version exist.

It also means, that the protocol, which is used for the communication
between the backend and the device, is most likely the same for both
variants, so that these parallelport scanners would be useable, if a
parallel port driver would exist.

According to his mail on the parport mailing list, Grant is currently
working on such a driver (which would indeed only work under Linux).

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder
Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de