Re: CanoScan 300 SCSI scanner setup problem

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:56:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Durk Talsma wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Recently, I discovered the SANE project, and would very much like to use
> > it for running
> > a scanner on my l Linux box. I haven't been very succesful in getting my
> > scanner recognized though, using
> > sane 0.74
> >
> > I have a Canon Canoscan 300 flatbed scanner, configured for LUN 03 and a
> > ncr810 SCSI host adapter.
> > My kernel is configured with generic SCSI support, and have found the
> > generic SCSI devices /dev/sga
> > through /dev/sgh. No, I'm not much of a SCSI expert, but assuming that
> > /dev/sgd correspondes with LUN 03,
>
> No. sga is the lowest-lun with a device in the system.

Pardon me but are you guys referring to LUN's or SCSI ID's? They both
matter but could cause a misunderstanding here.

for those that don't know: LUN's is short for Logical Unit Number and is a
subnumbering scheme for SCSI devices. For example my Panasonic PowerDrive
is both CD player and PD station. It uses SCSI ID 3. But the PD uses LUN 0
and the CD part does use LUN 1.

SG devices are handed out per LUN so my SCSI bus has 6 generic devices in
the kernel but only 5 physical devices on the bus (besides the card ;-).

xcdroast can show this nicely to you (should you have it at hand).

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |