Re: sane on linuxPPC (apple)

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:33:26 +0300

Flavio Spirgi wrote:

> hello,
> i have a correction for your table at /www.mostang.com/sane/sane-support.html.
> sane supports gimp at least on the valentinsday-release.
> and (apropos apple-scanner) the OneScanner works very well and without any problems.

I am the one who maintains the apple backend (officially) and I can't
hide that I have been suprised. I don't understand for which release are
you talking about. Chances are that OneScanner !!may!! scan after
sane-0.74 release. There is absulotely no possibility to scan with a
SANE version prior to 0.74 (with the apple backend and the OneScanner or
ColorOneScanner). For 0.74 and above I have reports for almost working
(with a small patch) ColorOneScanners in non color modes. I think that
you have a plain AppleScanner (4bits, 16shades of gray) and you confused
it with an OneScanner (8bit, 256shades of gray)

> but...
> i have a question: on the new release of linuxPPC, sane does not even compile. the
> configuration works without problems, but the compilation stops. it produces an error
> "_io_base not declared" or something like this. what is the matter? what can i do to get
> sane compiled (it has to be possible, since under the last release of LinuxPPC it compiled
> without any problems).
>
> (should i give you the exact describing of the error?)

You should tell us the error and the version numbers of all the
implicated programs/libraries.

LIBC/GLIBC
kernel
sane
SCSI adaptor
gimp
gtk

and anything else that might be usefull.

Milon Firikis.