Re: Mustek 600 II N updates + file ownerships

Jon Wikne (wikne@lynx.uio.no)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 18:29:30 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 Christoph Doerbeck (doerbeck@dma.isg.mot.com) wrote:

> > > Another thing: When using xscanimage with suid root to get access
> > > to the port, it seems that file ownership for the output files created
> > > also defaults to root. This is sometimes annoying, although not serious.
> >
> > Is it still the case with 0.74 ? I think I had to remove the
> > file /tmp/out.pnm as root before being able to scan into that file,
> > but may be I have missed to set the mode 4755 before doing this...
>
> Why on earth would you want to run xscanimage setuid root? This is an
> aweful practice in my opinion. Why not just set read/write permissions
> on the /dev/device?
>
> Am I missing something?

Awful practice it might be, but if I instead set the permissions on
/dev/port then the scanner (i.e. the lamp) is not turned off properly
on exit from xscanimage.

This might well be another bug, but until that behaviour is changed
I keep it setuid root. This matters very little on my system with only
few and trusted users anyway.

-- Jon