Re: Windows port

R Pickett (emerson@hayseed.net)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Alex Belits wrote:

> The last kind of people that worth help are ones that use Windows by
> "corporate standards" and thus constitute major force, used by Microsoft
> for their market dominance and thus keeping companies from providing
> decent support for their hardware in non-Microsoft systems. While there
> may be valid reasons for Windows port, this one isn't.

Although this begins to veer off-topic for this list, it always disturbs
me that there are those who vocally gauge others' "worth" strictly by
what platform they use. Alleging that Windows users are somehow not
"worth help," somehow beneath the notice of non-Windows users, is not
going to win OpenSource folks any friends. In any case, the GPL
prevents platform favoritism, which is a Good Thing.

SANE for Windows would allow Windows users access to networked scanners,
(which is a plus for people more interested in getting work done than
being ideological about OSes), would expose Windows users to GPL software
that might not otherwise see it, and might convince some hardware
manufacturers to write backend drivers which definitionally themselves
would have to be GPL and back-portable to other OSes.

Plus, some of my best friends are Windows users, and still deserve
cool software.... ;-)