Re: Microtek E3+ war story (The good guys win)

Matto Marjanovic (maddog@mir.com)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:07:53 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:51:42 -0400
>From: Dan Birchall <djb@nospam.scream.org>

>The Scanmaker E3 seemed to be a good inexpensive choice, but a

>SCSI models. So I wound up ordering an E3+ from PC Connection.

>Interestingly enough, the E3+ might be a little bit different
>than the original E3. It shuts its light off after about 10
>or 15 minutes of idle time (I seem to recall someone kvetching
>about the E3 not doing that). And it apparently supports SCSI-2 -
>I commented out everything but "microtek" and "microtek2" in
>dll.conf, and it came up using "microtek2" much to my surprise.
>I'm going to try commenting out "microtek2" to see if it will
>use "microtek" instead, since "microtek2" is allegedly still
>alpha.

The E3+, name aside, is quite different from the original E3, and uses
the 'new' command set --- hence Bernd's microtek2 driver. I bet in Europe
it's marketed as the "330" or some variation.

What an industry -- both scanners and all consumer computer equipment
in general. The name don't mean nothing. (Another classic: The Agfa
"Arcus II" has Microtek guts; the "Arcus" is anybody's guess.)

-matt m.