Re: Slackware Linux compilation problems

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 03:43:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Matt Kuznicki wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I apologize right away if this is the wrong address to send this to;
> if it is, please refer me to the correct one.
>
> In the PROBLEMS file of SANE-0.74 the first entry is a problem
> compiling under slackware, the compiler dying with a "virtual memory
> exhausted." It does actually eat up all the memory compiling the umax
> backend.
> I was able to produce this error with a nearly stock Slackware 3.4
> installation. Upon upgrading to GCC 2.80 and version 2.8.1.1 of
> libstdc++ (the std. libraries), SANE compiles without a hitch. I had
> also updated my binutils to 2.9.1.0.6, but am not sure if that has
> anything to do with this. Please also note that version 2.8.0 of the
> stdc++ libraries seems to take muck pleasure in making X servers
> segfault on my Slackware setup. I don't know if this is a reported bug
> or not.

This is a known issue. Please switch off optimalization in your Makefile
and things should be allright.

Please chech the webpage if you think it might be a known issue as it
should be in the archives.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |