Re: shmem in backends?

Yuri Dario (mc6530@mclink.it)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:16:42 +0100

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:28:09 -0700, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> That way, platforms supporing pthreads
>and OS/2 could use threads whereas the older platforms would continue
>to use fork(). Yuri, is this what your working on?

yes, because there are a couple of problems with fork() under OS/2: 1) not as efficient as under Unix
(better to avoid it), 2) forked process doesn't inherit all parent handles; to be correct, it doesn't inherit at
least system semaphores, and semaphores are needed to syncronize access to the current SCSI
low-level functions. Without this semaphores, I experienced system crash with the Umax backend, and I
know that something similar happens also on other systems.

Until now I have corrected the Umax and Mustek backends, and I will submit patches to SANE 0.73 ASAP
(now I'm too busy with my job). I have also minor patches to code for parallel port, for the epson backend
and to the microtek2.

Bye,

Yuri Dario

/*