System hangs with sane-0.73 (was: Problems with sane & AVA15xx)

Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 01:42:05 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 11:15:54AM -0400, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

> The kernel panics are troubling....
>
> Another user who was asking me for advice discovered that his problems
> went away when he commented out the "dll.conf" entries for all but the
> correct backends (i.e. microtek, in his case).
>
> I suspect that another backend (maybe microtek2?) was not being careful
> enough in its device identification, and harassing his scanner and/or
> scsi bus into a panic.

That's correct. The microtek2 backend that was distributed with sane-0.73
erroneously doesn't check the vendor string and the model code immediately
after the "inquiry" command, and thus executes a "read scanner attributes"
regardless of whether it is actually a scanner that should be handled by
this backend.

Normally this behaviour should only produce some lines of error messages
meaning something like "invalid command" or "invalid parameter". But
it seems that sometimes it freezes the whole system.

I am not sure why this happens. But at least I can tell that the problem is
fixed in the next release of sane. The advice for now is, as stated by Matto,
to comment out this backend in the "dll.conf" file.

Bernd

--
Bernd Schroeder
Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de