Re: UMax 1220S

Nicolas Lucas de Peslouan (nicolas@intercab.fr)
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:44:01 +0200

Zach Fine wrote:
> And if you know what halftone screen you're printing at, you can then
> calculate the resolution at which you should scan your photos. I
> don't remember the exact formula for this either, but if you print at
> 65lpi like my college paper used to, your photos should be scanned to
> be at least 135dpi at the size at which they're finally printed
> (i.e. if you scan at 135dpi and then enlarge the photo to fill a whole
> page, it's no longer 135dpi). We used to scan at 150dpi so that we'd
> have a little room to play with.

Zach, (and All),

Thanks for this intro about lpi and scanner -> printer stuff.

To stay in the same topic (I know sane-devel is not the proper place to
deal with this, but who know a better place to speak about scanners and
scanner related topics ?), I would like to have some advices about
scanning color photos and sending them through a fax machine.

Currently, I convert the PNM to JPG/GIF, then build a page in HTML, then
use html2ps (http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html), then send it with
HylaFax.

Of course, this is not the best (shorter) way to keep fine control on
the pictures, but I can't find a better one.

Any advices ?

Nicolas.