Re: Problems with Microtek ScanMaker 630

Christian Asam (Christian.Asam@gmx.de)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 06:39:56 +0000

Bernd Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 06:48:17AM +0000, Christian Asam wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > I do not completely understand what you mean with this question, but at
> > > least I can tell that a backend must support a TMA, and this is currently
> > > not the case with the microtek(2) backend.
> > Not neccesarely. The Windows (3.1)-program does not allow the user to
> > choose the media type without a TMA being installed. It seems, as if the
> > small D-SUB connector on the rear of the scanner is the interface to the
> > TMA and the ASF, and enables it. I was not able to find reasonable
> > information about it, but am assuming some type of an identification
> > function.
>
> If supported the driver can inquire the scanner attributes separately for
> the fletbed, the TMA and the ADF. It is also possible to check, whether
> a TMA is actually connected to the scanner, and to activate/deactivate
> the corresponding options in the frontend according to the result
> of this check.
>
> In any case the backend must specify the scan source (fletbed, TMA, ...)
> when a scan is started.
My problem is, that I don't have the original TMA but an "universal"
one. If the detection of the original TMA by the scanner is halfway
simple to bypass, then I could use it and wouldn't have to go through
returning the wrong TMA and ordering the Microtek one.
Thats why I asked the question, kow it detects the original TMA, if it
is just a wired connection in the plug or a switch, then it should not
be too hard to build a dummy plug, that solves my problem.

cu