Re: Problems with Microtek ScanMaker 630

Christian Asam (Christian.Asam@gmx.de)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 06:48:17 +0000

Bernd Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 08:48:30PM +0000, Christian Asam wrote:
> > Hi,
> > the problems are:
> > - total system crashes (the console, X and the network are dead, the
> > only way to get the system up again is to reset it...)
>
> Hhm, I have never experienced that the whole system gets locked. Does
> this happen always or only under certain circumstances ?
Mostly when scanning, but not always...
Yesterday I started scanning 300x300 24Megs and it locked up after a
second. When I tried to scan 16M, it locked up after 10 or so.
But later I was able to scan 80M without problems...

Once I had such a lockup under Netscape, without scanning, but that was
incomplete at first: I could login with the ssh and kill & restart X,
but couldn't shut it down sensibly without it locking up the system.
I usually am used to that with Windows, but not with Linux.
That system ran stable before.

> > - color inversion: When preview in halftone or lineart mode,
> > the results are inverted, and after switching to 24bit color the colors
>
> This is a known bug in the version of the backend that was distributed
> with sane-0.73. You might want to try
> ftp://ftp.muc.de/people/bernds/mtek2/microtek2-0.3.tar.gz.
> This version fixes the bug with the inverted 1-bit modes (and maybe it
> helps that the system doesn't lock).
Will try it.

> > Does anyone here use the Microtek TMA?
> > Is yes: Is the "interface" to the scanner simple (switch type) or
> > complex (electronics)?
>
> I do not completely understand what you mean with this question, but at
> least I can tell that a backend must support a TMA, and this is currently
> not the case with the microtek(2) backend.
Not neccesarely. The Windows (3.1)-program does not allow the user to
choose the media type without a TMA being installed. It seems, as if the
small D-SUB connector on the rear of the scanner is the interface to the
TMA and the ASF, and enables it. I was not able to find reasonable
information about it, but am assuming some type of an identification
function.
The reason for the question: I was sold a "universal" TMA that works
nicely, but is not strong enough to manage against the main lamp.
Returning it usually would be no problem, but I ont get to the shop in
the next time...

cu