Re: [long] Overall usage impressions

Paul D. Robertson (proberts@clark.net)
Mon, 25 May 1998 16:51:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > I'm now happily scanning medium format transparencies on my 1200s (Velvia
> > and Astia if it makes a difference, though the Velvia needs some color
> > balance correction to look like Velvia, it scans well, my 35mm slides are
> > the new E200, and I can't wait for it in 120). The gamma value I tend to use
> > is between 1.6 and 1.8. I am also happily scanning 35mm transparencies, which
> > I wasn't sure would work.
> I've seen a Canoscan slidescanner under W$. The interface had a menu item
> to select different Filmbrands and Types to get best results with them.
>
> I think we could implement such a feature if someone who found out some
> good Gamma corrections for his favourite films would send them to the
> development team so that they can collect values vor different films.
> This would enhance the usability of slidescanners (slide extensions at
> flat scanners).

I think this is a more difficult task than it first seems. Ideally,
you'd have to figure out a good "test target" to take a picture of, then
balance each color intensity to that of the target given the same
exposure conditions for each film. While you don't have to be spot on,
given the range of films, formats, and scanners, it would be less than
trivial. However, the idea has a good deal of merit, and I'd think that
saving and restoring intensity values by name would be an interesting
start, then someone would only need to maintain a master file of common
names and values for the "Restore settings" menu selection.

Also, I'm not sure if the image qualities need to be changed to print versus
display, and as we see more people making prints at home from inkjets, that's
going to become more important than ever.

> This is only a suggestion from a new SANE user. Unfortunately I'm not
> so familiar with the SANE project that I can say something about the
> realisation. Could someone comment this proposal whether it is realistic
> or not?

Well, I'm not a developer on this project either, but I think having a
"save/restore by name" configuration parameter set would be a great
addition. If the database were done per scan device, with the option to
add a generic device for all scan platforms, I think it would be very
useful for both slide and negative scanning.

Paul