Re: Sane compilation ate my ram!

Peter JD Hall (phall@ilap.com)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 23:19:47 -0400

Jim Ford wrote:

> I've just ordered a scanner and decided in the meantime to install the
> software. I grabbed the latest Sane package (0.72) and have tried
> compiling it. It first ate my 64 meg of ram and then when that ran out,
> started snacking on my swap partition. When _that_ ran out, it burped
> and announced "virtual memory exhausted" (in line 3686 of compiling
> umax.c)!
>
> Now I guess that there is something wrong here and I don't have to
> install more memory! I also guess that I'm not alone with this problem
> and I won't need to trawl through a lot of source code to find the
> problem for myself.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Regards: Jim Ford

Hi Jim,
I do not know how to solve it so that it will compile correctly but
David Tang kindly suggested the following to me which is to use "CFLAGS=-g
./configure" . This allowed me to compile the lastest sane-0.72 and also
sane-0.69. How to solve the problem is beyond my meager skills.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Peter Hall