Re: Minolta Reply (was:Public Relation Department (Ref. No. CR-3255 V)

Mathias Koerber (mathias@koerber.org)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 08:42:31 +0800 (SGT)

This sounds good.

I propose if we have documents from the manufacturer that
support our assessment of their attitude (like the email from Minolta),
we should also put them up behind a hyperlink...
(that also should include all efforts to solicit the material,
like faxes email in full text. That would help explain what efforts
have been made to obtain the information..)

It would further be helpful toscan in and publish any documentation
for the scanners, *IFF* the manufacturer gives their OK in writing.

I certainly am for putting the minolta letter up on that page,
along with my requests..

cheers

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

| Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:24:15 +0200 (MET DST)
| From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@caiw.nl>
| To: sane-devel@mostang.com
| Subject: Re: Minolta Reply (was:Public Relation Department (Ref. No. CR-3255 V)

| > Andreas> Of course, it a good idea to quote the company's policy.
| > Andreas> But be careful not to ask for boycott as this might lead to
| > Andreas> prosecution. Some companies are very narrow-minded. Just
| > Andreas> state the facts explicitly.
| >
| > I'd be happy to host a web page describing the open source attitude of
| > various (scanner) companies. Maybe it could include a ranking and
| > supporting information such as the letter from Minolta. The highest
| > ranked companies would be equivalent to "recommended buy" whereas the
| > low ranked companies would be equivalent to "stay away".
|
| > As long as we provide factual information, there is nothing wrong with
| > doing this. And hopefully it will increase the pressure on companies
| > that so far refuse to give out specs. Anyone interested in putting
| > together such a page? I'd be happy to write a section on our
| > experience with Mustek, but don't have time to organize the whole
| > effort.
|
| I can make an example and post it here. But We need to specify what kind
| of information should be included.
|
| Perhaps a table of tested scanners like:
|
| Mustek 600SP
| 6000 (Only SCSI version)
| HP 5p (not tested with supplied card)
|
| And a table of hardware manufacturers like:
|
| Mustek Supplied full set of manuals without restrictions
| HP Gave little information
| XXX Refused to supply programming details
|
| Or was somethings else intended?
|
| Hugo.

| | Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| | Oranje Nassaustraat 16 | http://www.caiw.nl/~hvdkooij |
| | 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |

Mathias Koerber | Tel: +65 / 471 9820 | mathias@staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC | Fax: +65 / 475 3273 | mathias@koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias@singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd | 1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943 | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *