Re: Libtool 1.1 under OS/2

Jeff Freedman (jsf@hevanet.com)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:36:32 -0700

Yuri Dario wrote:

> Hi,
>
> libtool 1.1 under OS/2 is broken: it doesn't compile dynamic libraries .dll.

At one time, I got this to work, and sent the Libtool changes to the
author. Unfortunately, Libtool changed quite a bit after that, and the
OS/2 part is now broken. Since I had spent more time on that than on
the actual port of SANE to OS/2, and since I'm not that great an expert
on shell scripts either (and also since I mostly use Linux these days
anyway), I've pretty much given it up. So if someone else wants to fix
this, I certainly wouldn't mind :-). But it's a lot easier just to
write a direct rule in the makefile for building the OS/2 DLL, the
equivalent .lib, and the executable.

The big difference between OS/2 (and Windows) DLL's and UNIX shared
libraries is that in UNIX, you just link your executable with the shared
library. But in OS/2 or Windows, you still have to create a separate
.lib file that you link to. EMX/GCC gives you simple tools to do this,
but I found it a real pain to try to incorporate the procedure into
Libtool.

> After a lot of checks with libtool 1.0d, I have found that ltconfig is missing two parameters (-lsocket in
> archive_cmds and library_names_spec). But also ltmain.sh has changed the default value of
> 'allow_undefined' from 'no to 'yes'; with allow_undefined=no the libtool is working fine, but I think that this
> will not work under other platforms.

You can find the socket stuff in the OS/2 "bsd" package on
hobbes.nmsu.edu. With that, I was able to compile the SANE "net"
backend after making a couple minor fixes in the sockets headers.

> Also saned doesn't build under OS/2, because syslog.h is missing: where is possible to get the sources
> for syslog.h (is (there also a syslog.c?), so I will try to get a working saned for OS/2.

I haven't looked, but I've read that the "syslog" package for EMX is
also available on hobbes.

-- Jeff