Re: sane 0.71 and microtek E3

Bob van der Poel (bvdpoel@kootenay.com)
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 11:34:22 -0700

William T Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>
> > Minor complaint: why do authors always figure we have large screens? I
> > use a 14 monitor and anything larger than 800x600 is virtually
> > unreadable and virtual screens are, well...I hate them. Shouldn't we all
>
> I think you're in the minority, at least it terms of your monitor size. :)
> I use 1152x864 (which is about all that my monitor & video card can manage

Really? With 17/19 inch monitors only recently becoming affordable I
would have
thought that the majority of PC users (hence Linux users) were
struggling
along with 14/15 monitors.

> decently) and I still find it too cramped, although I hate virtual screens
> as much as you do. I suppose we'd all benefit from 'smaller' screen
> objects, as screen real estate is always valuable... but I think that no
> matter how big your screen is, there's just never enough of it. :)

Even worse, is the fact that I'm getting older each and every year and
my eyes are going along for the ride. I'm thinking of getting a 17"
soon,
but maybe I should blow the milk money on a 21" and justify it on the
savings
I'd incur by putting off glasses for another year. Wonder if she'll buy
that ;).

> The interface thing that bugs me is how the little pop-up balloons in
> xscanimage pop up and obscure the control they are supposed to be
> describing, so you can't use it. I'm all for pop-up help, but it should
> try to stay out of the way... :)

Oh, I thought that was just me. I did find that if I clicked to the
right side of
the button it wasn't as bad. I think it is matter of having a delay set
for
the display of the help...is there an option for this or is it hardwired
into gtk. Also, when the menu is displayed the ballon should go away.
Ain't
beta software fun.

> > So, to use this I either have to restart X in a larger screen or I have
>
> There is a function in XFree to switch screen size on the fly, you know,
> by pressing control-alt-plus and control-alt-minus (on the number pad).
> However, you cannot use a screen resolution that's larger than the virtual
> screen you defined in the config file. If you are using AcceleratedX,
> MetroX or something, then your mileage may vary. :)

Yes. What would be nice is the ability to turn virtual on/off on the
fly. But
I suspect that won't happen. Too many problems with all the stuff on the
screen
at the time of the re-size. Mind you, I can start a 2nd x session in
another
resolution or virtual size. Wonder if Bill's seen that and figured a way
to advertise that as something which might be in Win 2010.

--
   __
  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel