Re: PARAGON 600 II N

Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de)
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:41:49 +0100 (MET)

Hi Enrico !

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Enrico Oreglia wrote:

> First of all, YOU'RE GREAT, because my scanner now is turned on by sane!!!

That's at least better than nothing !

> But...
>
> I can't do anything.

That's not so good at all.

> Only one time I obtained a preview (I don't know how) and now if I try to
> use my scanner, sane only turn it on and that's all, it's impossible to
> obtain a preview or a scan (color, gray etc.).
>
> Some suggestions?

At least one possibility: I always ran xscanimage/scanimage as SUID root
program. It should be also possible to use /dev/port (if this device is
readable/writable for the user), but it is not well tested.
When you already tried as root, I only can give you the hint to do

export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=2
xscanimage

and to look at the debugging output (or, send me what you got).
You will see if the scanner gets identified after power-on.

> And, it's possible turn off the scanner light with sane?

Yes, there was a bug in sanei/sanei_ab306n.c that did not turn
the scanner off after leaving the program. If you still want to try
with sane-0.67, you can change the line 473,474 as shown below:
Change

/* power off the scanner: */
ab306_outb (port + i, port[i].base, 0x00);

so that it looks like:

/* power off the scanner: */
ab306_outb (port + i, port[i].base + 1, 0x00);

Andreas.

PS: I am still trying to get a improved backend implementation through
to be included into 0.68, but there were still some implementation
details that did not match. I hope it will be ready in time.