Re: PARAGON 600 II N

Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:35:14 +0100 (MET)

Hi Enrico !

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Enrico Oreglia wrote:

> I've taken sane-0.67 package and the patch (thank you Mr. Czechanowski!)

That's what you need for a first try (color mode will produce ugly
images, though)

> Now, after reading all man pages, also the postscript guide, I've no ideas
> on how to make working my scanner ;-(
>
> My scanner isn't scsi standard or parallel port scanner, it's driven by an
> ISA card unknown, so what have I to do? I've read the sane-mustek man page
> and I've not found my model...

I know, I have the same model, with the AB306N special interface card etc...
Generate a file mustek.conf (in /usr/local/etc/sane.d on my host,
depends on what you have configured; you may use the distributed
mustek.conf in the backends directory as a template), and instead of
a device name (such as /dev/scanner), put a I/O base-address in it.
There are 8 possible I/O bases where the card can be configured
to reside (see sanei/sanei_ab306n.c) :
0x26b, 0x2ab, 0x2eb, 0x22b, 0x32b, 0x36b, 0x3ab, 0x3eb

Put one of these (in hexadecimal notation as shown) on a line by itself
into the file mustek.conf. I use 0x32b, but it depends on your
configuration (It's always good to know what I/O addresses are already
used).

> I've compiled the executables scanimage and xscanimage.

Ok, now, you can execute :

xscanimage mustek

or, you may first try

scanimage --help --device=mustek

Optionally, do a

export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=2

to see what's going on (The ID and Firmware revision will be reported).
The scanner should be switched on in both cases. Ignore messages about
a SCSI device that cannot be opened.

Hope this helps.

Andreas.