Re: Dark scans with HP ScanJet 3c

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 08:39:30 +0200 (MET DST)

David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Joerg> Hi Everyone,
>
> Joerg> excuse me, if this is a RTFM question.
>
> Joerg> I'm using sane 0.65 together with a HP ScanJet 3c (over a
> Joerg> local area network, but that's probably not relevant for my
> Joerg> problem).
>
> Joerg> Everything works fine, but true color scans created by sane
> Joerg> are - compared to results produced by the original HP
> Joerg> software under windoze - very dark.
>
> Joerg> Are there any suggestions for proper values of contrast and
> Joerg> brightness? Or is it possible to calibrate sane?
>
> The HP backend is still very minimal. It was derived from hpscanpbm
> and was adapted to SANE "in the blind" (without access to an HP
> scanner). Features such as gamma correction are not supported yet.
> Getting the docs from HP isn't hard, but what's lacking right now is a
> person to take the HP backend under his or her wing...

Joerg,

If you're not going to take the hint from David, you can adjust the
gamma using a program like "xv". Load the picture in XV, and press "e"
to edit the colors. In the middle-bottom control you can adjust the
gamma. Works like a charm.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a