Re: umax-backend

Peter Daum (gator@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:25:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE wrote:
[concerning UMAX Astra-1200 S]

> Pleas would someone try the gamma-coorection and the option
> 10-bit-mode and tell me if it works.

at second sight, I'm not so sure anymore, whether the gamma
correction works right:

When I turn the "custom gamma table" on without any other
changes, I get a solid gray scan. With all values set to 1 (which
I assume should produce about the same result as without the
gamma table) the picture is pretty dark, white is dark gray and
the colors don't look right. I can't find any settings, that
produce a normal looking result.

When I uncheck the gamma correction option, subsequent scans
yield very interesting solarisation-like effects - it is
necessary to turn the scanner off and on again to get things back
to normal.

As far as the 10-bit option is concerned, I am not so sure, what
exactly the effect of turning it on should be. It doesn't cause
any crashes anymore (these were obviously also only whith
gtk+970925) but the results look pretty weird. While the button
is checked, most scans are accompanied by message boxes popping
up saying either "Error during read: the Operation was cancelled"
or "cannot handle depth 16". When unchecked again, the very next
scan will produce another such message, then things are back to
normal again.

Bye,
Peter