Re: system hangs with umax Astra 1200S / freebsd

eric (eric@tarsier.colo.erols.net)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 18:53:09 -0400

On Sat, Jul 12, 1997 at 12:45:36PM -0700, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Hmmh, what version of FreeBSD and what SCSI controller are you using?
> I find it strange that a user-level SCSI program would hang the entire
> system. I suppose it might be possible for the scanner to block the
> SCSI bus if something bad happens, but it should not lock up the
> entire system. Hence I wonder whether the problem might be with the
> generic SCSI driver, rather than the UMAX backend.
>
> --david

This seemed very strange to me too, but apparently the problem has been
resolved.

First, it wasn't a matter of the scanner blocking the scsi bus -- it had an
entire scsi bus to itself on an Adaptec 1522 (which turned out to be the
problem)
Second, I'm using the "pt" driver, although i suspect the "uk" driver would
work too now that I've moved the scanner to an Adaptec 2940W.
Everything works more or less fine now, except the scanner still needs to be
the _only_ device on the bus. If I put a disk on the same bus as the scanner,
(with a different SCSI id# obviously) accesses to the disk time out and stuff.
It seems like it may be a termination issue, which I'll fiddle around with
some more.
But anyway, it will not work at all using an AHA1522, with either a Umax or
an HP4c scanner.

Thank's for all the help!

eric