Problems with XSane using Umax Astra 1220P

From: Andrew Fiedler (afiedler8@home.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 17:27:39 PDT

    Hi I'm new to this list and fairly new to linux and SANE. I just
    complied SANE with the UMAX parallel scanner patch.
    When I run scanimage -L I get this output:

    scanimage -L
    [umax_pp_low] SlowNibbleRegisterRead: found 0x20 expected 0x0
    (umax_pp_low.c:4064)
    device `umax_pp:0x378' is a UMAX Astra 1220P flatbed scanner

    When I run scanimage -T it passes all of the tests.
    I have been able to scan in an image with the command line tool, but I
    can't get xsane to work. I ran it as root and it showed the GPL and a
    warning about running as root I clicked OK to both but then a warning
    came up saying
    "xsane:no devices available" Same result when I run it as a user

    Why is it that scanimage finds the scanner and even scans but xsane
    doesn't? I tried running "xsane umax_pp:0x378" (as root and as a user)
    which did the same thing.

    I use Linux Mandrake 8.0 kernel 2.43-20
    SANE version 1.0.5 (from source w/ patch for my scanner)
    XSane version 0.78
    Thanks for any help