Problems with Epson 1240U also with transparencies

From: Tom Corner (corner@chello.at)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 05:07:37 PDT

    After I installed Slackware 8.0, Kernel 2.4.5 and latest sane (1.0.5?) and
    xsane (0.78?), I had trouble having my epson Perfection 1240U recognized. It
    is /dev/usb/scanner0 and is recognized as unknown scanner. Have I done
    something stupid? I was able to get it to recognize the transparency unit only
    by loading device settings from a previous system. Works ok now, but it ought
    to be recognized automatically.

    Another problem. Has anybody found a way to get good results from the
    transparancy unit. I have scanned some good quality(sharp, good color
    saturation, contrast etc.) medium format transparencies and the scans I am
    getting do not compare favorably with the originals or with the scans from
    prints. Is it possible to get good results from transparencies with this device?

    Thanks,
    Tom Corner

    E-Mail: Tom Corner <corner@chello.at>
    Date: 18-Jul-2001