Re: compiling xscanimage on Solaris 8

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 12:26:49 PDT

    Just to be sure: you talking about version 1.0.5?

    On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:45:41AM -0400, Michael K Bender wrote:
    > I've already successfully compiled and have been able to run sane via
    > the scanimage interface, but I would like to be able to use sane from
    > a graphical interface, preferably as a plug-in to gimp. However,
    > when I try to compile the frontends package, I get the following
    > errors:
    >
    > ---
    > ../include/sane/sanei_debug.h: In function `sanei_debug_sanei_debug_call':
    > In file included from sanei_init_debug.c:66:
    > ../include/sane/sanei_debug.h:76: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)

    Huh? If I didn't miss anything line 76 is:

       void
       DBG_LOCAL (int level, const char *msg, ...)
       {
         va_list ap;

    --> va_start (ap, msg);
         sanei_debug_msg (level, DBG_LEVEL, STRINGIFY(BACKEND_NAME), msg, ap);
         va_end (ap);
       }

    Maybe va_start is a macro and this contains the above declaration.
    Maybe we need an additional header for Solaris?

    As far as I can see there is no difference in the two files between
    sane-backends and sane-frontends. So I don't know why you could
    compile the former one. Maybe an include is missing somewhere deeper
    in the code?

    > ../include/sane/sanei_debug.h:76: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    > ../include/sane/sanei_debug.h:76: for each function it appears in.)
    > ../include/sane/sanei_debug.h:74: warning: `ap' might be used uninitialized in this function
    > sanei_init_debug.c: In function `sanei_debug_msg':
    > sanei_init_debug.c:103: warning: implicit declaration of function `isfdtype'
    > sanei_init_debug.c:108: warning: implicit declaration of function `syslog'
    > sanei_init_debug.c:109: warning: implicit declaration of function `vsyslog'
    > ---
    >
    > I have been able to get rid of the syslog and vsyslog errors by
    > changing the #include <sys/syslog.h> to #include <syslog.h>, however,
    > I haven't been able to get rid of the isfdtype or
    > `__builtin_va_alist' error. I read back in the mailing list logs
    > about the isfdtype problem with compiling sane, but that has been
    > fixed. I was wondering if anybody has encountered this problem with
    > xscanimage and knows how to resolve it.

    I'm not sure if you can't just ignore these messages (warnings not
    errors). There are substitute functions for most of these in liblib.

    Concerning syslog I think you are right, this should be
    #include <syslog.h>
    at least that's what my manpage and APUE says (and that's used
    everywhere else in the code). I will change his in the source code if
    nobody opposes.

    However, the same include is in sane-backends so if that worked, you
    shouldn't have problems with sane-frontends.

    Sorry, I'm out of ideas currently.

    Bye,
      Henning