HP USB Scanner difficulty

From: Bob Sully (rcs@malibyte.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 00:35:05 PDT

    Hey all -

    I've got a HP Scanjet 6200C at work (using the USB interface)
    hooked to one of my Linux boxen. I have Sane 1.0.4 installed as
    directed in the HOWTO and have the config. files set up for a HP
    USB scanner. However, xsane and xscanimage/scanimage can't find
    the scanner. The usb scanner module is loaded. I've done a
    Google search on the subject and found several articles, all of
    which tell me that I have set everything up correctly. It's not
    a permission problem, as it doesn't work as root either. The
    scanner does work in Windoze.

    Snippet from /var/log/messages:

    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage
    driver...
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
    usb-storage
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB
    Mass Storage devices
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP
    250 Rev: 31.G
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: Type: Direct-Access
    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: USB Mass Storage support
    registered.
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
    usbscanner
    Jul 9 11:05:36 rcsully kernel: scanner.c: USB Scanner support
    registered.

    lsmod dump:

    Module Size Used by
    sd_mod 10304 1 (autoclean)
    vmnet 18880 2
    vmmon 18992 0
    awe_wave 157440 0
    sb 7328 1
    sb_lib 34864 0 [sb]
    uart401 6416 0 [sb_lib]
    sound 59584 1 [awe_wave sb_lib uart401]
    via-rhine 10928 1 (autoclean)
    ne2k-pci 5312 1 (autoclean)
    8390 6288 0 (autoclean) [ne2k-pci]
    scanner 6672 0 (unused)
    usb-storage 21200 1
    scsi_mod 54800 2 [sd_mod usb-storage]
    usb-ohci 19200 0 (unused)
    usbcore 50160 1 [scanner usb-storage usb-ohci]

    I do get several of these on bootup:

    usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

    but from what I understand it's normal to see a few of these while
    the scanner is initializing.

    I have the same scanner at home (using the SCSI interface
    instead of USB). SANE has no problems with it there.

    Any suggestions?

    The USB interface on the office machine works in Linux, as I'm able to
    talk to my USB Zip drive in Linux without any problems.

    TIA -- Bob