Re: sane/canoscanFB620U

From: Simon Heywood (simon.heywood@physics.org)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 04:44:01 PDT

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, G.LeeJ wrote:
    > Is it safe to assume that support for my scanner in subject line is a ways
    > off ?

    Oh yes. I've been busy moving house as well, so things have gone a little
    slowly.

    > I know someone was working on one......also i'm willing to take it apart if
    > there is a reasonable chance that doing so won't make it impossible to get
    > back to working state? :) <g>..

    I'll tell you how I pulled mine apart, assuming the hardware is fairly
    similar.

    Most of the scanner unit is one piece of moulded plastic, with the lid
    attached by some method I've yet to figure out (but this doesn't matter).
    Firstly, prise the two plastic strips off which run the length of the
    glass on either side of the scanner. It helps if you haven't just trimmed
    your nails off. These strips are glued on and take a few minutes to work
    off but I removed them without damaging them. Both ends have tabs that are
    located in slots in the main scanner unit: the strips are quite
    flexibile and should come out of the front slots as you prise them off the
    glass; you can only take them out of the rear slots by lifting the strips
    up in the same manner as the lid and pulling them gently towards the front
    of the scanner.

    Lay the plastic strips aside and carefully slide the glass towards the
    front of the scanner until the other edge emerges from the hole near the
    where the lid is attached. You should now be able to remove the glass,
    taking care not to damage the scan head (it's probably a good idea to use
    the locking switch underneath the scanner before you start).

    Now you have access to the inside of the scanner you can remove the screws
    which secure the EM shield above the PCB and note down IC numbers/take
    photographs/compare to my ASCII art diagram.

    To reassemble, perform the reverse procedure but be sure to: (i) clean the
    *inside* of the glass and the EM shield of fingerprints/grease before
    reinstalling the glasss! (ii) Line up the glass by matching the glue marks
    with the glue marks on the plastic strips. There should still be plenty of
    glue left to secure the glass without noticing any difference.

    HTH

    --
      Simon Heywood <simon.heywood@physics.org>
      website: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~phucq/