Hi -- USB UMAX Astra 2200 question

From: Derek Martin (ddm@pizzashack.org)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 19:23:20 PDT

    Hello all, I'm new to the list. I have an Astra 2200, that I'd like
    to connect via USB port. The FAQ has a brief vague mumble about the
    possibility of this working with the USB driver and the sane-umax
    back-end, but says nothing else about how one might get this to work.

    I'd be happy to be the guinea pig, and share my results. I'm very
    knowledgable about Linux in general, but I admit that I know little
    about scanners and next to nothing about USB...

    I have the USB driver compiled into my kernel (2.4.5), and when I load the
    scanner driver, I get these messages:

      usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
      scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified USB scanner -- Vendor:Product - 1606:230
      scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.

    This seems to suggest that it found the scanner, but I don't really
    know if that's all I should be seeing.

    Also I'm using the version of sane that comes with RH 7.1 (1.0.3). It
    had config files in /etc/sane.d which pointed to /dev/scanner or
    /dev/usbscanner, but neither of those existed. So I created them. I
    noticed later that they do exist in /dev/usb/ but that shouldn't matter.

    The results of scanimage -L are still nada...

    What else could I be missing?

    Failing good answers, I do have another linux system with a Tekram 390
    U2B SCSI card in it, and an adaptec 2940, both of which have external
    U/W ports on them. Anyone know if/where I can get external ultra SCSI
    to db-25 SCSI cable/adaptor?

    Thanks.