Re: [parport] Use of inb/out in backends...

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 03:59:20 PDT

    Hi!

    [Tim Waugh]

    > On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:24:37PM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
    >
    > > I think that a step in the right direction would be to have a shared
    > > library providing the same functionality as /dev/parport, and have
    > > the library use the native OS support if available, and fall back to
    > > inb/outb or whatever, failing if not root.
    > >
    > > (For the special case of collection IEEE 1284 Device IDs, there are
    > > other fallbacks to try first involving /proc, and so this should be a
    > > part of the interface.)
    >
    > FWIW, I have made a small start on this. Any suggestions about how
    > the interface should look would be greatly appreciated.

    I'd like to have some raw access functions to access the ports directly. The
    protocolls to access parport scanners often are proprietary so that it's
    difficult to define a unique interface to them.

    regards
    -- jochen

    --
    Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith.
    - Paul Tillich, German theologian and historian

    [This is a signature virus, please copy me into your signature file!]