Xsane .\config errors

From: ANTONISHEN Robert -CIO PROJ DEL (rob.antonishen@opg.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 13:48:32 PDT

    I saw a thread list in the archive from a couple months back and was
    looking for the resolution.

    I am running into the same problem on RH7.1 where I rpm -e the xsane
    and sane packages that came with, successfully installed the hpoj driver
    for my HP scanner, and successfully installed sane-backends-1.0.4

    I know this works because I can get a scan using scanimage.

    Now I try to install xsane and get the following errors about sane:

    <clipped from the ./configure output...>
    checking for sane-config... /usr/local/bin/sane-config
    checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
    *** Could not run SANE test program, checking why...
    *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
    *** that the run-time linker is not finding SANE or finding the wrong
    *** version of SANE. If it is not finding SANE, you'll need to set your
    *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
    *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
    *** is required on your system
    ***
    *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
    *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    ***
    *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
    the
    *** exact error that occured. This usually means SANE was incorrectly
    installed
    *** or that you have moved SANE since it was installed. In the latter case,
    you
    *** may want to edit the sane-config script: /usr/local/bin/sane-config
    checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
    checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... yes
    checking for gimp-config... /usr/bin/gimp-config
    checking for GIMP - version >= 1.0.0... yes
    checking for libgimp/gimp.h... yes
    checking for libgimp/gimpfeatures.h... yes
    checking for png.h... yes
    checking for png_create_info_struct in -lpng... yes
    ERROR: SANE-1.0.0 or newer is needed for compiling xsane
         - if you installed SANE as rpm make sure you also included
           sane-devel
    <End clip>

    but sane-config works (and returns v1.0.4) when I run it directly:
    [rob@localhost xsane-0.77]$ sane-config
    Usage:
      sane-backends-config --version - show installed script and SANE
    version
      sane-backends-config --ldflags - linker flags required to link
    with SANE
      sane-backends-config --libs - libraries required to link with
    SANE
      sane-backends-config --cflags - compiler flags required to find
    SANE headers
      sane-backends-config --help - show usage info (this message)

      sane-backends-config --help SUBCOMMAND - show help for SUBCOMMAND

      sane-backends-config --prefix - prefix used during SANE compile
      sane-backends-config --exec-prefix - exec-prefix used during SANE
    compile

    [rob@localhost xsane-0.77]$ sane-config --version
    1.0.4

    /usr/local/bin is in my $PATH and /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf
    and I then run ldconfig.

    I'm really banging my head against this one...
    Any tips?

    Rob A.