Is my Artec AT12 broken?

From: Charles Briscoe-Smith (charles.briscoe-smith@uk.alcove.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 03:49:04 PDT

    Until I get time to work on reverse engineering that Artec Ultima 2000
    USB that's sitting in my drawer at the moment, we're trying to use an
    old Artec ViewStation AT12 SCSI scanner. I'm having big problems with
    it, though. The host occasionally locks up while trying to access the
    scanner, and when it does scan anything, the output appears divided into
    thin horizontal bands, each of which is offset relative to the next.
    I've tried the scanner on at least two different SCSI cards, both on
    the same host adaptor as the disks, and on a different adaptor, both
    with and without a tape drive daisychained on. I believe the bus is
    correctly terminated, using a pass-through style terminator.

    In fact, I found that if I unplug the SCSI bus from the scanner then turn
    the scanner on, the scanner light comes on, the carriage moves back and
    forth a bit, then the light goes off and comes back on. Then the scanner
    light stays on indefinitely. This looks abnormal to me. Do you think
    the scanner is broken, or is there something I've missed?

    Thanks for any help,

    --
    Charles Briscoe-Smith                     Hacking Free Software for Alcove
    PGP/GPG:  1024R/B35EE811  74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2