Re: Compiling on OS/2

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 13:52:22 PDT

    On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:10:50AM +0200, Franz Bakan wrote:
    > If i try to compile the actual cvs-version on OS/2
    > there are some problems:
    >
    > 1. sane-backends/sanei/sanei_scsi.c
    >
    > I get an error in sane-backends\sanei\sanei_scsi.c
    >
    > sanei_scsi.c:line: initializer element for `param[0].u' is not
    > computable at load time

    At which line is this error? I would think it's on 2432-2439, but this
    isn't an "initializer element" or am I wrong? Line 2422 is used to
    initialize, but it hasn't anything to to with

    > char vendor[32], model[32], type[32], revision[32];
    > int bus, channel, id, lun, number, i;

    So I just don't understand this. By the way: Does it work if you use
    "configure --disable-warnigs"? The warnings will be disabled for
    release.

    > 2. sane/sane-backends/backend/qcam.c
    >
    > I have to change
    >
    > struct flock sfl;

    > struct
    > { off_t l_start;
    > off_t l_len;
    > pid_t l_pid;
    > short l_type;
    > short l_whence;
    > } sfl;

    Could you check if this struct is defined in any of your system
    headers? If it isn't, we can probably do some kind of configure magic
    to define it if it isn't.

    > 3. in sane/sane-backends/lib/*.c
    >
    > I have to change
    > #include "config.h"
    > #include <config.h>

    In principle, this should work with "config.h" because the include
    dirs are -I$(top_builddir)/include/sane -I$(top_srcdir)/include and
    config.h is in include/sane. Could you have a look into the Makefile
    and check, if these entries are the same (INCLUDES)?

    But usually we use "../include/sane/config.h" or at least
    "sane/config.h". I don't know why it doesn't work for you and why it
    does with <config.h>.

    If nobody objects, I will change this in CVS. David left out lib/
    when he changed config.h to sane/config.h but I don' know, why.

    > Perhaps these problems could be solved in the sources.

    We will try.

    Some questions: Did you compile sane-backends without any other
    changes than mentioned above just by using ./configure ; make ; make
    install? Whic version of OS/2 and which compiler + version are you
    using? SANE is statically linked to scanimage? Is it possible to use
    the X frontends xscanimage and xcam?

    > Another question:
    >
    > Is it possible to compile just for one backend for example
    > a specific version just for epson scanners.

    Yes.

    > Or build scanimage without all 'fork' or 'parallel' backends
    > (which are actualy not so well supported on OS/2)

    Yes.

    > Is there a switch for configure that could be set?

    Not in configure. You can set the backend you want to ccompile in
    backend/Makefile.in (before ./configure) or backend/Makefile (after
    ./configure). Just edit the list "PRELOADABLE_BACKENDS".

    Thanks for you input about OS/2. It is really appreciated because we
    get very little information about running SANE on non-mainstream
    operating systems.

    Bye,
      Henning