sane_start problem

From: shailendra mehta (shailendra.mehta@tatainfotech.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 23:00:47 PDT

    Hi all,

    I am using the default available pnm backend & I have modified source code
    of scanimage.c available in the frontend
    directory of sane-1.0.3.
    The input document set is a ppm file of size 1.9 MB
    It gives error at following place in the source code:

    status = sane_start (device);
      if (status != SANE_STATUS_GOOD)
        {
          fprintf (stderr, "%s: sane_start: %s\n",
                   prog_name, sane_strstatus (status));
          goto cleanup;
        }

    & the error is
    prog_name: sane_start Invalid argument.

    That means "status" value is unknown to sane_strstatus().
    If the input file is of lower sized(300 KB) it works well.
    But if I change it to new one with 1.9 MB then above problem occurs.

    Can anybody tell why this happens?
    Is it bcos of the huge memory requirement? If so what r the limits?How to
    set those limits?
    & if this is only for pnm device , Can actual scanner(say hp5300 c) give a
    problem?

    Thanks & Regards
    Shailendra S. Mehta,
    Senior Engineer(Design & Development),