Re: how to write a manpage

From: Bjoern Brill (brill@samson.math.uni-frankfurt.de)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 07:21:01 PDT

    On Sat, 19 May 2001, Karsten Festag wrote:

    > Hi all developers,
    > I've never written a manpage before, but now it's time to start. What is
    > the best strategy and what tools to use?
    Manpages are text files, written in a kind of markup language. A
    (standard unix) tool called groff is used to produce formatted documents
    from this.

    > I feel like this is a dumb question, but I didn't find some useful
    > information about this.

    There's a mini-HOWTO on writing man pages, see e.g.
    <http://center.kernelnotes.de/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Man-Page.html>

    and here is a good collection of groff documentation links:
    <http://tylx.tripod.com/groff-resources.html>

    HTH,

    Bjoern

    --