something very bad??

From: Andy Angrick (angrick@4ward.net)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 07:21:31 PDT

    Hi All,

    I fear i might have done something bad and wanted to get your opinion.

    I had been hacking the ricoh SANE driver to see if i can get it to work with
    an IS330 scanner. Looking over the documentation i have for the scsi
    commands, they appeared almost identical. I changed ricoh.c to include the
    IS330 in its 'list' of recoginized scanners. That seemed to work. I could do
    a scanimage -L and the device shows up. I did a scanimage -h -d ricoh and it
    gave me the options for the scanner. When i tried to do a scanimage -d
    ricoh, it failed at SET WINDOW. GET WINDOW and all the commands previously
    where successful. In looking at the scsi debug output, right before it
    failed:
    sane_start: error during device i/o

    it said
    sane_scsi_req_wait: SCSI command complained: Success

    I thought okay.. what if i made set_window return SANE_STATUS_GOOD to see
    what would happen.

    I did made that change and recompiled. I then ran scanimage -d ricoh and it
    hung for a bit and then made a terrible noise for a few seconds. I though
    uhhh-ohhhh. I opened up the lid of the scanner and saw one of the cables
    that connects to the scanning lamp was totally disconnected and tangled.
    This is a brand new scanner right out fo the box and i've never even opened
    the lid other than to take out the protective sheet on the glass. I didn't
    notice then whether or not the cable was messed up at that point.

    My question is.. could i have caused it to break that cable by doing what i
    did? Seems like it take an aweful lot to make that cable come disconnected
    and all wrapped up around the pully (or whatever you'd call it). You'd also
    think that the scanner would have some sort of fail safe so that the lamp
    couldn't go beyond a certain point.

    Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. I have to send the scanner back
    now..either saying that i broke it or it was already broke when i got it.

    Thanks
    -Andy