Version problems (and others)

From: Harri Hohteri (harri.hohteri@cs.helsinki.fi)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 04:20:44 PDT

    I'm using sane backend 1.0.4 on my RH7.1 and trying to access it from my windows machines using either winsane or xsane-w32 0.76. Winsane crashes for some reason and xsane reports for version incompatibility.
    From the linux shell I can use net backend successfully. I'm having problems though that saned doesn't work unless I start xined as root. That might be because I don't know what to do when man saned says "Note that both examples assume that there is a saned group and a saned user." I know how to use linuxconf and such but what should give as the password etc.?

    Here's the xsane error message:

    C:\sane>scanimage -L
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of net to 128.
    [net] init: could not find `sane' service (Not owner); using default port 6566
    [net] adding backend 192.168.0.1
    [net] connect_dev: major version mismatch: got 0, expected 1
    [net] get_devices: ignoring failure to connect to 192.168.0.1

    find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which came
    with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    [net] exiting
    [net] closing dev 0xa011298, ctl=-1